Monday, April 30, 2012

Small to Overflowing


Luke 6:38 says, “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” 

Several weeks ago a dear friend had a birthday and I was searching for the best gift.  I found a beautiful little birdbath, cobalt blue porcelain.  It was small enough that, I warned her, her dog would consider it his perfect new source for fresh water outside, which he did.

Last week someone, also dear to me, presented me with a gift, a beautiful large birdbath, cobalt blue porcelain.  I was thrilled.  I remembered the other gift I had given and I recalled the saying that the gifts you give are usually what you would like to receive.

When I was refilling it with fresh water today, the analogy of what God had done caused me to stand and smile for several minutes.  I had given; He had given more, better and larger.  

Now before you run out to buy a Mini-cooper to give someone in hopes of receiving a Cadillac in return, let’s look at another verse or two:

Matthew 19:29, “And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for My sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.”

The Father loves to give us gifts.  And I believe He loves it even more when He does it in response to our giving.  But we’re missing the point if we begin to give to get.  We may get our tithes, our offerings, our gifts back one hundredfold here and now, in this life.  We may be blessed with His loving approval.  Or we may find reward waiting for us in Heaven.  

If our motive is out of love, like His, our lives will be rich, abundant and full.  If it’s not, His blessing of approval here won’t mean anything to us anyway.  Start with love and give through it.  And God will give you everything you need to accomplish it.

2 Corinthians 9:6-8
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment