Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Donuts for Breakfast

Is there anything better than a big cup of Starbucks coffee?  Okay, maybe a big cup of Starbucks caramel macchiato.  And to go with it one (or two, or three if they’re warm) sugary Krispy Kreme donuts with chocolate icing or cream filling.  I’ll wait while you savor the thought.  And the sugar high that hits gets us up and going!  

But what happens after a couple of hours?  We lose energy, start to drag, head for the vending machines and refill on more sugar or salt.

We all know these things.  Mothers, young healthy women, wise older grammas.  We know that to start the day we need juice, whole grains, milk, fruit, yogurt – healthy stuff!  This food doles out energy as our body needs it and keeps us going.

I got up this morning and, as usual, hit the laptop first.  I have a mental list of visits I make every day – check email, look for Facebook notifications, see what’s going on with Facebook friends; weather channel for the next 10 days; pinterest to see if anyone pinned any of my pins; iGoogle for world, US and entertainment headlines; back to Facebook for Words with Friends.  This keeps me busy and interested; but I’ve found that sometimes it also makes me a little discontented and grumpy.  I mull over dissatisfaction, feel slighted in some way, forget to be thankful for this very blessed life I’m leading.

It’s an old story – get up and read your Bible first!  We hear it too often.  But truth, God’s Word, is our oatmeal with cinnamon and apples, our granola with blueberries.  It is our life sustainer, our energy, our time-release pick-me-up that keeps us going with peace, gratitude, and hope throughout our day.

So I guess this is notice to my Words with Friends..friends.  You won’t be hearing from me as early as you did.  I’m changing my morning routine.  I’m going for healthy.

Psalm 119:27, 30-32
Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders.   I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.  I hold fast to your statutes, O LORD; do not let me be put to shame. I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.


No comments:

Post a Comment