Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tasty, Refreshing, and Totally Unsatisfying

I stood at the pump and looked at the sign and got thirsty. I’ve grown accustomed to ignoring advertising that waves, yells, and flashes at me. Yet on this very hot summer day as I was pumping gas, the picture promising “Any drink only 69¢” was very appealing. The glass was tall and filled with ice. There was a strong gush of cola dropping into an already filled glass and splashing over the sides. Even the sign itself had what looked like condensed drops of water on it. I wanted a coke! (I’ll wait while you go to the kitchen.)

I stood there for a minute and thought about Weight Watchers (because at this point I’m considering that only a full-fledged, sugar-loaded, caffeine-packed glassful will do) and I thought about the fact that I would drink it down and still be thirsty. Because when you’re really thirsty only water does the trick. (I’m so pleased that you’re thinking ahead of me.)

And so yes, I considered that our attention is constantly receiving messages from this world that say, “Take what I have to offer. It’s the only thing that can satisfy that want, thirst, hunger.” When the Truth says, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life” (John 4:13-14), all the advertising spin in the world isn’t going to make the other stuff look better.

But let’s take this thing just a step further. Sometimes, I know I need to drink more water, but I really want other sugary substitutes. I have to make myself go for the healthy choice. It works like this – once I start drinking the water, I can’t seem to get enough of it! I thirst for more.

I was born in Hot Springs, Arkansas. (Did you know it is the smallest national park?) It was known for the warm therapeutic waters and “Bath House Row”. And, still, there are several places in town where there are no signs, no advertising. Just a small stone facing surrounding a tap from which pure, spring water continually flows. Cars line up filled with empty, plastic jugs waiting to be filled.

Isn’t it reassuring knowing that the well won’t run dry and we will never have to be thirsty?

John 7:38
Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.

No comments:

Post a Comment