Friday, August 12, 2011

Looking for the Right Piece

Because I am an only child, I grew up hanging out with my cousins for company. We spent many summer days sitting around a card table with jigsaw puzzle pieces spread out in front of us. We would spend hours in complete silence as we concentrated on whatever section of the puzzle captured our interest (translate “seemed easiest”).

Somehow the puzzles got put up on the shelf when I began to raise my own family. We moved around a lot while Steve was in the army and, when he retired and started another career in northern Virginia, the kids were older and our lives were just too busy and full to take on a hobby that could eat up hours of time. I still took puzzles when we went on vacation and I had time to sit and enjoy them.

Imagine my delight when I was last in northern Virginia and I discovered my son’s family sitting around a puzzle table! This week they are all here in South Carolina and we are celebrating the “August girls” birthdays – my son’s fiancĂ© Erika, her daughter Eliza, Claire, Maggie and I all share August birthdays. We opened a table full of presents and one of mine was a puzzle with a picture of, how fitting, a beagle puppy, daisies and a basketful of green apples.

So we’ve spent hours together working this puzzle. And this morning, while the other adults were playing golf and the kids were still sleeping, I came out to work on it a little while I watched for hummingbirds.

This puzzle has 1500 pieces. I was putting apples together and, as I picked up the box to plow through the pieces, it occurred to me that there were probably 200 pieces, of which many were apple ones, already lain out on the table.

We love God and we want to serve Him. So we go searching for just the right place and opportunity. Don’t get me wrong. Ephesians 2:10 tells us, “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” And I believe He has done just that. So I do pray hard about what it is that He wants me to do.

But I also believe that I spend a lot of time “looking in the box for the right piece”, when there are “pieces” all around me that I could work with – and that would serve God.

No comments:

Post a Comment