Thursday, July 14, 2011

Waving at Me!

For those of you who do not believe that God wants to communicate with us, for those who don’t believe God is whimsical and fun-loving, let me tell you a little story.

 If you visit my house during the months of frosty weather (my favorite) when plants have to be protected, you had best bring a machete and a pith helmet. Because, my friend, you are walking into a jungle. I bring all my house plants, palms and ferns into the warm – they’re like snow birds heading for Florida.

 I nurse them through the winter sweeping up fronds and other sheddings and wait to usher them back into the warmth of spring. I try to keep just a very few in the house during the summer months so that it will seem homey.

My Chinese fan palm was one of those. (Fan palms are beautiful plants with hand-like palms at the end of long stems.) And apparently the others gave her the word during the winter because she has been pining away this summer in the house while the others are out throwing parties under the live oak. In fact I found some pictures of beautiful, lush fan palms, but the one you see in this picture is more like my own.

So I finally gave in to her and let her join the others at the back of the garden under the oak.

Yesterday while I was having my quiet time with God, I happened to look up and there was a giant hand waving madly back and forth at me. I fell out laughing! And God and I had a moment. I thanked Him and we laughed together. And after a minute or so, the hand stopped waving. Today I looked for it and it wasn’t there. I was afraid the plant had blown over with last night’s wind; but I went out to look and there it stood, blended in with all the other plants.

 Listen for His voice. But also keep your eyes open! God longs to reach out and touch you.




1 comment:

  1. Penny, I always love your perspective! Plants and I don't normally get along that well, but I have an African Violet that an Angel gave me a few years ago during a time of struggle. Somehow Vi continues to be a healthy lush plant (though I haven't seen a flower in well over a year now.) I am reminded of God's blessings each and every time I see her!

    ReplyDelete