Wednesday, July 9, 2014

When I Keep Silent

Why is it that I equate praying with talking to God?  Why do I feel like it is my responsibility to not only “keep up my end of the conversation” but also to not give Him a chance to talk at all?  And yet, there are times when I do feel the need to talk and I do not have the words.

Yes, He longs to communicate with us and that’s why prayer is best done with the Word open.  Consistent, planned personal Bible study is the way that He says the most to us.  And He does use other believers to encourage us and to remind us of those passages that He wants us to remember.  And He does speak to us through His creation.  When we give Him the time…

But sometimes I feel the real need to do the talking and I cannot.  Often I have a real concern for a friend and I don’t even know why!  Or my family is heavy on my heart.  And my words either won’t come or don’t feel sufficient.  I know that the Holy Spirit is there speaking for me – “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses.  For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”  (Romans 8:26)

Earlier this week, I was feeling so loved and so overwhelmed with God’s gracious goodness.  And I sat looking out my porch window trying to figure out how to express my deep thanks.  And nothing came!  I read Psalms, but even those verses did not seem to express what I wanted to say.  Then as I sat quietly, I heard the song of one bird.  As my ears adjusted and strained to hear, more bird songs joined the first one.  And I smiled as I realized that they were praising God.  So on that morning I listened and let them express for me what I so wanted God to know.

Psalm 69:34; 148:7-13
Let heaven and earth praise Him, the seas and everything that moves in them…Praise the LORD  from the earth, you great sea creatures and all ocean depths, lightning and hail, snow and clouds, stormy winds that do his bidding, you mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars, wild animals and all cattle, small creatures and flying birds, kings of the earth and all nations, you princes and all rulers on earth, young men and maidens, old men and children. Let them praise the name of the LORD, for his name alone is exalted; his splendor is above the earth and the heavens

No comments:

Post a Comment