Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sharks and My Martha Complex


It all began with a six-foot inflatable shark.  I can’t remember where I saw it – Facebook, Pinterest, some ad pop-up – but I was excited by the possibilities.  The thing flies!  Remote control!  And I imagined excited children shrieking and running through fellowship hall.  All right, there may have been some crying little ones but once their moms explained that it was harmless, they would join in the fun.

I started to consider the best time to launch this.  Unfortunately Vacation Bible School didn’t have an “Under the Sea” theme this year.  No baby showers coming up with an aquarium theme. And the price tag, about $27, was a bit steep for a one-time fun surprise; but it would be worth it.  Then there was the helium requirement…about $30 for a tank because I couldn’t see waltzing into Walmart and asking them to inflate my 72-inch shark, although it would’ve been great to see the reactions as I left the store.
 
 Somewhere between the discovery and my checkbook, my common sense kicked in.  And I realized that this was not really about the kids at all.  This was about my being seen as cool, as having been the one to make this great find and present it to everyone else.
 
My thoughts wandered.  How many times have I slaved over a fancy dessert, feverishly cleaned my house, or worked to get a presentation just right?  Why did I do it?  I’d like to believe I wanted to give enjoyment, make people feel at home in my house, whatever noble reason I came up with at the time.  Truth is I wanted to look good, to be perceived as smart or talented.  If I had been truly “loving my neighbor as myself”, I wouldn’t have had nearly the stress associated with the work!
 
Martha stood preparing (and most likely fuming) in the kitchen while Mary sat at the feet of Jesus, listening, learning.  Finally she worked herself up enough steam to charge in and ask Jesus why he had not sent Mary in to help her.  True, she was concerned with feeding Jesus and the disciples; but Jesus could have pointed out to her that some of her hard work was no doubt rooted in pride.  He chose, however, to emphasize the positive instead (although an unfavorable comparison to her sister probably did not feel much like it to Martha).  
 
“But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.  She came to him and asked, ‘Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!’  ‘Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’  (Luke 10:40-42)
 
When I do for others, caring more about their comfort and enjoyment than their perception of me, I realize that they are easier to please than some ideal that I try to achieve.  I relax and they are at ease.  So don’t expect to be amazed by a floating six-foot shark moving through the fellowship hall any time soon.  However, if you’d like to surprise me with one, I’ll gladly send you the information!

No comments:

Post a Comment