Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mixing Ideas

My grandson has been baking and cooking with me ever since he was old enough to stand on a chair and place frozen break-apart cookies on a cookie sheet.  We’ve stirred spaghetti sauce together and spilled chocolate chips from the bag on purpose so we could eat them.

This Christmas he is seven and baking Christmas cookies was more of an adventure.  He measured and poured and gingerly turned the mixer to the numbers I told him.  It was a cooperative and memorable Saturday afternoon.  I had left the butter out for a while to come to room temperature and I told him he could unwrap it and put it in the bowl.  “Don’t I need to cut it up, Gramma Jo?”  I assured him that it would blend without a problem.  Several minutes later as I continued to scrape and mix, he wondered what was the holdup.  I explained that I was having a little trouble getting the butter to mix in.  With the wisdom of an experienced chef, he said, “I told you we should have cut it up, Gramma.”

His mother and I chuckled over the story later.  I said they must have covered this question while baking cookies at home.  She assured me that they hadn’t, but that he is an intuitive kid and probably just reasoned it out.  I smirked.  I’ve been cooking for forty years; he’s a seven-year-old.  

I’ve got my ideas set in a lot of areas.  My faith is most important to me.  And I think I have it all figured out.  I’m so sure of it that I begin to feel proud, willing to tell anybody who wants (or doesn’t want) to listen how this world works.  Then someone older, or younger, a new Christian or one whose eyes have recently opened to the joys of the Word will make a statement that feels funny.  It doesn’t quite fit in with all the little blocks and pieces I’ve worked out for myself.  I have to tiptoe up to the creaky door of my mind and force it back open.  God wants me to be as excited about learning as I was when I started this journey.  He wants me to be willing to change my habits and continue to grow.  Today I baked cookies again.  I want you to know, I cut up the butter.

Proverbs 11:2, 1:5
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom…let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment