Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Steady in the Heights

My iGoogle pops up every morning with three headline tabs – World News, National News, and the all-important Entertainment News. I also have weather for Manning, South Carolina and Woodbridge, Virginia. At the bottom, fish and turtles swim around waiting for food and a little hamster runs on his wheel when I’m not feeding him.

 
And I have Bible Gateway’s Verse of the Day to assuage any guilt I have about checking on news before having my quiet time with God. I do have to expand the box to see the scripture. Today I was sitting down to do my Bible study and I ran a quick check to see how the world was doing. I noticed the verse was Habakkuk 3:19, which rang a bell with me. I thought I should really just go ahead and look it up in my Bible; but in the time it would take for me to actually find Habakkuk, I could click on the plus sign and have the verse read. So I did.

And I was right – it is a favorite of mine. “The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.” Because who doesn’t want to scale the heights?

So I thought, great idea for a blog! I’ll just google and find out some cool stuff about deer who live on the heights. To begin with, be careful what you google because you can get some pretty gross deer-hunting pictures. And finding deer who actually live on the heights was a challenge! There were plenty of sheep and goats, but the Word said “deer.”

Then I stumbled across the Siberian Musk Deer. Because it eats vegetation, it primarily lives in the forests of Russian Siberia. However, when it is in danger, it runs to rock outcrops.

It’s great to be in the forest and feeling comfortable and nourished, content and safe, isn’t it? But we seem to spend so much of our time on the ledges and rocks!

What a comfort that God clears our path, steadies our feet and makes us safe. How amazing that we feel secure in the heights where it’s thrilling and dangerous at the same time!

Psalms 27:5
For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment