Friday, September 17, 2010

If I Had Another Life to Live...

…I would live it in Seattle.

We arrived at around 6:00 PM (9:00 PM EST) yesterday to a gray and rainy day. The standard in Seattle, I’m told. How wonderful is that? Those of you who know me really well know that this is my kind of weather. Nothing buoys my spirits like a gray mist.

The clouds hung low and a damp rain fell. We were exhausted, having been on travel since noon. People had been friendly, sweet and helpful the whole day and it definitely was not a hard travel day, just long.

But here’s the thing. We don’t travel that much anymore and I said several silent prayers that God would intervene on our behalf. As I phoned a dear friend and chatted for a bit, Steve stood with an airport cart and waited for luggage. He told me later, he just kept letting people in front of him because he had the cart and he didn’t want to get in their way.

Suddenly the short siren sounded and the belt started moving – on the next baggage area directly behind Steve! All he had to do was turn around and, pretty much, there came our bags. Ours were among the first dozen! The man standing next to Steve said, “Man! How did you DO that?”

We gathered our bags and trudged over to the elevators in search of ground transportation. We had not made shuttle reservations and needed to go downtown. We were aware this could be a serious issue. We asked information and found out about a shuttle service for the major hotels. There was no one in their little “caboose booth” but the woman told us we could just catch it and pay the driver.

Thing is, we didn’t know what we were looking for. And there were so many different kinds of shuttles. Suddenly, Steve made sure I was good with the luggage and bolted across the street. He came back grinning with two reservation tickets and said, “That’s it! C’mon.” He grabbed the luggage cart and away we went toward a small white van parked away from the rest – certainly not one we would have been looking for or even have noticed.

Steve had seen a woman come into the ticket booth The young man told us we had gotten the last two seats, loaded our luggage, and turned to inform the four people approaching that he was full.

I sat in the front seat and enjoyed the hills, the green and the fog. The Seattle skyline was partially covered in clouds and I was taken in. The city had San Francisco hills and so many trees! I have never seen a city with more green.

This morning Steve and I woke at 5:30 (8:30 EST) and I ventured out around 7:30. Buildings were half hidden in fog and everywhere there was the heavenly smell of coffee. It was like chocolate in Hershey, Pennsylvania! Not just on the street corners, the coffee stalls are everywhere!

I haven’t pulled out the camera yet – that’s for the cruise. I just wanted to give a nod to this lovely city. Probably should stop the entry now…it’s getting harder. It’s my third grande and my hands are shaking from the caffeine.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you both! Have fun and I can't wait to read all about your trip! Sending lots of love and prayers your way!

    XOXO, Stef Kurtz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like so much of your trip so far is a "GOD THING", and that is cool!! Keep us posted.... miss ya already.

    Steve & Gretchen

    ReplyDelete