Monday, April 19, 2010

Treasure

Revelation 21:18-21
The wall was made of jasper (green or red), and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire (dark blue), the third chalcedony (light blue), the fourth emerald (green), the fifth sardonyx (brown or black striped), the sixth carnelian (orange red), the seventh chrysolite (light green), the eighth beryl (aqua), the ninth topaz (green), the tenth chrysoprase (apple green), the eleventh jacinth (dark blue-gray), and the twelfth amethyst (purple). The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass.
(Above parentheses are added to further describe precious stones. Resource: http://www.revelationcreation.com/html/GemsOfTheNewJerusalem.html )


On the surface, it does sound pretty – I’ll give you that. Truth is, I can’t really imagine the sheer opulence of it. Some things my mind likes to try to describe; this one I prefer to just smile and anticipate.

I will tell you though, that in general, jewels are not so much my thing. I do have some really beautiful pieces that Steve bought me several years ago when they were more important to me. And I do treasure them because he gave them to me.

But something Beth Moore said in one of her videos pulled out an old argument that I have had with myself in the past. She said that if she could just have five minutes with Jesus when she gets to heaven, she has some things to ask Him.

Let me lay some groundwork. I have wondered about this in the past. There are so many believers and only one Jesus. And I do not believe that He will appear to many of us at once, yet separately like so many copies. I may be wrong; but to me He is unique and truly “The One and Only” (again, courtesy of Beth Moore).

So let me throw out a thought to you. I have absolutely no Biblical basis for this. This is totally just my mind wondering, wishing. But perhaps it will motivate you the way it has me ever since it occurred to me.

Matthew 6:21 says, “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” At this stage of my life, Jesus is my treasure – there is no other. Listen to what Matthew 10:41 and 42 have to say:

Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man’s reward. And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.

So let’s say I visit a woman who is widowed and lonely. And I do it with a true and pure heart, simply out of love for Jesus. And I earn a reward in heaven for it. If my Jesus handed me a beautiful gem, a reward He had kept just for me, I would certainly and absolutely treasure it. But what if…what if a visit to a lonely person earned me a visit from Jesus in heaven? No Biblical basis for my question – only me, thinking and wondering.

Would a visit from Jesus not be a powerful incentive to do His work here? I will tell you, the simple idea makes me want to leap out of my chair and get busy! A reward earned here on earth and spent sitting at the feet of Jesus in heaven where my Treasure is.

Matthew 25:37-40
Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?” The King will reply, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment