Saturday, October 10, 2009

Steeped in God's Goodness

I have discovered Rosamunde Pilcher. I should probably say rediscovered because “Winter Solstice” is just about my favorite novel and I’ve read it more than once. I found such pleasure in that one that I read “September” and enjoyed it enough to pick up “Coming Home”.

That one is a little daunting at almost 1,000 pages. It owes its length to character development and long descriptive passages. Not a lot of "on camera" action here but wonderful everyday life. And, though I’m not always a fan of long descriptive passages, I love hers because she describes Cornwall and Scotland and there always seems to be lots of “weather” going on. Beautiful sea vistas, craggy cliffs and lots of wind and rain.

Because Pilcher’s characters are British, tea is the answer for everything. It is a cure-all, pick-me-up, and everyday part of every life, whether working class or aristocracy. And it struck me that it’s a fitting parallel for what our time with God offers.

It is restorative. Time after time characters that are weak, upset, depressed, or tired are given cups of strong, hot tea that calms nerves, gives hope and enables them to see more clearly. “He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul….” (Psalm 23: 2, 3b)

It is always available. None of these characters’ households would ever be found lacking in tea. It is a necessary part of life. “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22, 23)

It is a scheduled part of life. These people count on and look forward to the rituals of their teatime. It is a part of life that is not neglected. “Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway.” (Proverbs 8:34)

It is often extravagant and abundant. I love reading the descriptions of the little sandwiches and cakes that come with the afternoon tea serving. It is something to be looked forward to and anticipated daily. Our God is also extravagant in the ways He reveals Himself and speaks to us. “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” (Revelation 3:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment