Saturday, September 19, 2009

God Knows My Name

I was driving home from a visit to Northern Virginia where I had led a workshop and attended the wedding of a dear friend. I was awash in that sense of one foot in one state and the other somewhere farther south – both places still partially home, neither completely.

Facing the possibility of a sappy and overemotional drive home, I knew I had a long way to go. While I do love a Starbucks buzz, it will take you only so far. So I had turned on the radio and was switching channels between the “Radar Love” that was urging me to drive too fast and the contemporary Christian music that I usually listen to.

I hit the preset button one more time and heard the familiar lyrics: “Who am I that the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name, would care to feel my hurt?” And I came undone.

Because I have gone, and am still continuing to go through that process that all new people go through – that uncomfortable time when everyone knows your name and you are still trying to place faces. I have a new church and a new community and I am struggling with names.

And I am nobody.

Logic tells me that I should be doing better and that the “Lord of all the earth”, the Creator of the entire universe, should not only not know my name, but that He shouldn’t care anything at all about what’s going on in my life.

Yet here I sit, in this bubble of His complete care and love. Not only does He know my name, but He knew me before He “knit me together in my mother’s womb.” He chose my parents, my place of birth, my time of birth, and – amazing love – He has created good works in advance for me to do! He cares to keep my sun and moon and earth on their daily journeys. But He also cares that my personal needs - physical, emotional and spiritual - are met. He sent His only Son to die for my sins and to ensure that I will spend eternity in His presence.

I believe I will concentrate a little harder on this process of getting to know my new neighbors and friends at church.

1 comment:

  1. I love that verse 'knit me in my mother's womb'... that is the life verse for my second daughter! In the past, I have struggled with change and questioned through the different phases of my life, why me God?

    And then one day, in the middle of a bible study - it struck me out of the blue! Everything I have gone through, whether it be moving to a different state, to disciplinging my children, or an entire life adjustment that was never planned to happen...

    He Chose Me! He knew before I even knew that I could handle whatever he placed in front of me. And as I leaned on Him and trusted Him to guide me through these life experiences, I had an incredible testimony laid out before me. I know so much more now than I ever did because I stopped thinking about the past and the future and focused on today! Priscilla Shirer says just that - the Enemy reminds us of our past and our future; Our God is a God of right now!

    Penny, you have an amazing testimony right here with this blog - and once people get to know you (by the way, I still don't know the names of people in our church... I say 'red shirt' or 'blond hair' girl) they are going to be so grateful to have you in their lives! I am sure we will be reading soon about how much you have impacted that small little town of yours :)

    ReplyDelete