Saturday, September 26, 2009

Beware of Branding

I am me, no more, no less. No reason to apologize; no excuse for arrogance. Of myself, I am nobody. But I belong to the King of Kings and that changes everything.

Branding is defined as a kind, grade or make of thing. It is generally recognized by a slogan, trademark or logo.

You think you know where this one is going. Let’s go somewhere else. We could talk about Christian branding - slogans, symbols, whatever. I want to talk about who I think I am.


In the past I have been wife, mother, daughter, accountant, financial analyst, writer, speaker and leader. I still am some of those things. But this is the point: there was a time when I identified myself as each of those things. The title became who I was. My life revolved around nourishing that image and protecting that name for myself.

Several years ago I decided that I deeply desired to follow God’s will and nothing else. And He chose some things for me that took me out of the comfortable confines of my life. I was willing and so He blessed me with gifts and the Holy Spirit to help me to do everything He asked of me.

But as I so often do, I took up the title and began to believe my own press. I became what I was doing for God. And when that happened, my pride got involved. I found myself doing what I still believe He wanted me to do, but balancing that between service and pride.

I have moved on to a new place in my life, both physically and mentally. I spent wonderful getaway time with some Christian sisters this weekend and, with their support and guidance and a lot of prayer, I came to a powerful conclusion. I believe God is no longer asking me to step out of my comfort zone. I think He has given me this beautiful place to write and study and just be me.

So what is my brand for now? I am a servant. That will take the form of writer sometimes, prayer at others, encourager, studier, reader, even “be still” thinker. I will try not to assume that what I am doing is who I am. I am, pure and simple, someone who is available to serve and to do whatever it is that God is calling me to do.

I Peter 4:10
"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to help others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.”

1 comment:

  1. glad I stopped by the porch today! Funny how when you write what God is placing on your heart it is exactly what He desires me to hear.

    ReplyDelete