Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas with the Family


With September 1st comes excitement over cooler weather, hot spiced cider, and blowing brightly colored leaves.  Underlying all the reasons for fall exuberance, though, is the event that has colored my world since I was a child.  Cold weather means Christmas is on the way!
 
None of that has changed since I was a young girl.  What has changed however is the dark cloud that can accompany December 1st.  Steve puts on his tender face and his armor and battens down the hatches.  Because he is about to be assaulted, beaten back, and challenged by the full range of emotions that are available to me as a female…sometimes many within only minutes!
 
Because, you see, my Christmas will never be the same as it was when my children were small.  There are two reasons for this.  Most important, they had the courage to grow up and go about their own lives, as it should be.  Second, even my Christmas as it was when they were small is not the Christmas I see in my mind’s eye.  I remember the quiet, peaceful couple of hours on Christmas Eve night but not the several frantic hours that day wrapping, cooking, stressing, and fuming.  I remember the sweet smiles but not the squabbling.  I remember the snow…once or twice.
 
Don't we all idealize the holidays?  A Thanksgiving table groaning with food and  a happy Norman Rockwell family beaming at one another.  Children dressed so perfectly and behaving so well that we know they left their rooms spotless.  Little ones running and playing, smiling and sharing.  Don’t get me wrong.  It happens…and, when it does, it is wonderful.  But as we get older, we never remember the work and the peacemaking required.
 
This year, as I eased my way into late fall, I began to pray earnestly that God would manage our holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I told Him I would do my best to completely turn it over to Him, letting Him take care of the plans and the details.  The only mood swings I’ve had, small glitches really, have been when I tried to take it back over and run it for Him.  
 
The “why” I’ll write about when I can find the right words.  But, I’ll tell you the result right now.  This Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons have been among the best I’ve ever had.  My level of joy and peace has been consistent, high, and humbling.  My Father has given me increased faith and grace to see things by a new perspective.  I can’t wait to tell you about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment