Friday, September 12, 2014

Why Walk?

As I studied at my dining table this morning, I saw a crow land and spend a little time in my front yard.  A few seconds later, he caught my attention as he walked through the yard, across the street, and on down toward the end of the block.  I chuckled for a minute; but then it occurred to me.  Why on earth would you walk if you have wings?

How many times do I puzzle over something for a couple of hours and finally think to pray?    Usually God gives me a solution or at least a peace about whatever the issue is.  How often do we worry and fret over problems we couldn’t possibly solve?  Or other things that work themselves out and we look back and shake our heads over all that wasted energy?  We know the Bible tells us, Jesus tells us, over and over again not to worry.

But let’s look at the flip side, the positive piece.  If you remove something, another thing must take its place.  Pour a glass of water out and the glass will be filled with air.  Ever try digging a hole in very light and dry sand?  It just keeps refilling itself.  

If we make a decision not to worry, to trust God, we had best have something to back that up or the concern will just creep right back in.  I choose to live in the power that God provides through His Spirit and His Word.  Why would I walk on legs that tire when I can soar on wings like eagles?

1 Chronicles 29:11-13; Nehemiah 8:10; Isaiah 40:29-31
Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all.  Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all.  Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name…Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength…He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment