Friday, August 1, 2014

Red Vines and Cropsies


Farm Heroes Saga stole my joy.  My morning had started the way my best mornings start.  When I take the time to spend some serious time with the Lord in the morning, in His Word and communicating with Him, my day is wrapped in peace and a layer of joy.  Small irritations and frustrations may diminish it a bit, but the underlying contentment stays pretty much intact.
 
The other day Steve was home and I had finished my quiet time.  I sat down to do dueling laptops with him.  I love that we can be in the same room and both pursue our own paths.  Mine on this particular day was Farm Heroes Saga.  I was literally killing time, vast quantities of it.  Those of you who know me well are familiar with my inclination toward online game addiction.  
 
I am playing one, Pearl’s Peril, a hidden objects game that tests my memory and only allows a few minutes of game play.  This works for me.  However, some games like Farm Heroes and Candy Crush let you play as long as you proceed to the next level.  I enjoy them so much I will go back and play old levels to try to improve my score.  All of this is fine!  Within reason. 

My friends also know my love for licorice…all kinds.  Give me Red Vines for strawberry, Switzer or Australian for black, and Twizzlers cherry peel-aparts.  I even like those garish neon fruit ones and the filled ones!  But once again, I tend to avoid them because I go overboard.  If you give me a bag of licorice, you will probably see me inhale half the bag before I put it down!  
 
It doesn’t matter whether I’ve wasted hours playing an online game or eaten half a bag of candy, the end result is pretty much the same.  I feel lousy!  My time (and my health!) should mean more than that.  
 
When I’ve padded my diet with more and more fast food and sugar, healthy food loses its charm.  And when my senses are dulled by hours of gaming that doesn’t even pretend to work my brain, my desire for reading, writing, or Bible study is gone.  And, pretty much, so is my joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment