Thursday, October 31, 2013

Random Observations: On Board Ship

  • When did it become fashionable for men to wear capris?   I’m not talking about long Bermuda shorts.  I’m talking capris!   And some of the men I’ve seen are perfectly hardy, manly men.  I’m not sure if it’s a European thing (Steve thinks it’s Aussie) or perhaps someone from the U.S. in a tour group found them in a bazaar and the rest of the men in the group jumped on board.  I am unsettled.

  • My least favorite part of cruising is the evening meal when I have to sit down to a fairly formal dinner (even on casual nights) with a group of strangers.  It’s the same group every night; so as the week goes on, you become more familiar with each other.  Sometimes, however, familiarity breeds contempt.  This cruise I rejoice.  Our table is filled with fun-loving, friendly people.  (You know they are approachable when I got the courage on our first night at sea to ask if we could join their tour the next day.)  We have a pair of Brits from Cornwall – so funny – and we had a lively discussion about Rosamunde Pilcher the first night.  And that first meeting could’ve been a touchy one.  They joined our table on formal night and Steve didn’t get the memo and went down in a polo.  Mike was in a tuxedo.  One night it occurred to me that this was my big chance to scoop you all on Downton Abbey.  Wouldn’t you know I’d meet the only couple from Cornwall who have never seen an episode!  I disowned them on the spot.

  • I understand that we are too attached to our various technical toys.  The flashlight app on my iPhone has been a life-saver with our menus.  However, we have gradually been weaned from the internet over the last two weeks.  We have been able to access only for a few minutes at a time when we find places in port that will give us “free wifi” for the price of a couple of cappuccinos.  We cannot get email at all.  Facebook has been simply a way to tell our family and friends that we are still alive and haven’t “missed the boat.”  (So good to know; I always wondered.)

  • Modesty is not a watchword around swimming pools and hot tubs on sea days.  This unhappily applies to men and women who are old enough to know better.  I’m not being judgmental… honestly… just aware that there are some things you cannot unsee.

  • If they can charge you for it, you will not get it for free.  The food is generous, spectacular and beautiful.  And there is more of it than I can ever sample.  But I balk at paying two euros for a coke.  So I had my first one yesterday in over two weeks.  I’m glad I waited!  I enjoyed it.

  • There are photographers everywhere.  They snap us when we’re watching the sunset, when we’re disembarking, when we’re returning, when we’re eating, when we’re just being.  It’s not an irritation to me; I just let them snap away.  However, even when I was young and should have craved the attention, I did not like having my picture taken.  And I especially do not like that, when we turn the TV on, there I am:  watching the sunset, disembarking, returning, eating and being.  It drives me back into my Kindle.

  • We’re eating dinner at QSine tomorrow night.  It’s a specialty restaurant here on the ship and the interactive menu is on iPads.  I’m so excited about ordering that I just hope I’ll be able to eat all the food.

 

1 comment:

  1. If Stevo comes back with capris on, he will never be allowed to golf with us again ;-)

    ReplyDelete