Friday, April 19, 2013

Treasure

I dropped my ring today.  No, it didn’t go down a drain or into the toilet.  It hit my tile floor in the closet.  I didn’t lose it; but it did something that surprised me.

I got this ring about 9 years ago.  Steve replaced my gold wedding band with a diamond wedding band.  It’s precious to me because of the years of commitment it represents; it’s valuable monetarily as well as sentimentally.  

I’m a practical, reasonable person.  But somehow when I dropped my beautiful ring, in the back of my mind I expected a little tinkling sound, maybe even a little tune!  It simply sounded like a piece of tin, metal hitting the floor.  Just stuff.

How many times have I absolutely had to have something?  Maybe I was able to just go out and buy it or, more likely, order it off the internet.  Maybe I had to save for months for it.  But, without fail, unless some precious family memories were associated with it, that item found its way to the storage shed, the back of the closet or the thrift shop.  Just stuff.

We’ve all heard the sermon about laying up treasure on earth where moth and rust corrupts.  Some lessons we’ve heard so much that we begin to tune them out.  But twice Jesus says, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”  What is my treasure?  

I know what it is supposed to be.  But at times, it’s been my husband or my kids.  Once it was my house.  It’s been my job, my new car, my books.  And while it is anything other than Jesus, my heart is in the wrong place.

If Jesus is my treasure, He has my heart.  And if He has my heart, I’m building up treasure that will last forever.  No more stuff that will wear out!

Luke 12:33-34; Matthew 6:19-21
Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments:

Post a Comment