Monday, November 26, 2012

Fontana di Trevi


Before I ever knew anything about Rome, I knew the Trevi Fountain.  When I was very young, I used to watch old movies with my Grandmother, John.  (That’s another story for another time.)  I’ve known “Three Coins in a Fountain” for over fifty years.
 
Pretty much everyone who comes to Rome has three sights in mind – Vatican City, the Colosseum, and the Trevi Fountain.  Because the fountain was the closest to our hotel and matched our energy level best, that was our goal.  We studied our map and headed in the right direction this time.  I had a problem keeping my mind on the goal because I was overcome with the beauty of the buildings and the amazing quality of the people-watching.  But Steve is a little more single-minded and he pulled me along.  
 
I heard the fountain before I saw it.  Its size caught me by surprise.  I had read about it; but the sheer beauty of the sculpture and the architecture “took my breath away.”  Yes, there were crowds of people, taking pictures, tossing coins (right hand over left shoulder, please) and eating gelato.  Since our cruise will bring us back here at the end, I didn’t feel the need to toss a coin.  However, I will toss on my second trip because I most assuredly do want to return.
 
A gelato shop called to us and, after we had pistachio in hand, we found a spot overlooking the fountain and the people and proceeded to “be”.  For the first time of many on this trip, I stared at a piece of history that I simply could not comprehend.
 
The fountain is at the juncture of three ancient roads (“tre vie”) and marks the terminal point of the Aqua Virgo, built in 19BC.  The Roman aqueducts were destroyed by the Goths four hundred years later.  The Roman custom of building a handsome fountain at the endpoint of an aqueduct that brought water to Rome was revived in the 15th century, with the Renaissance.  The Trevi fountain was completed in 1762.  But the water that still rushes from the fountain has traveled along those ancient Roman aqueducts for approximately fourteen miles!
 
By the time our room was ready in our hotel, we started the walk back.  So many things to see, hear and smell.  The most ridiculous are the newest toys the teens of Rome are trying to sell the tourists.  They are multicolored eggs that, when thrown against the ground, break open and spread like a raw egg.  I didn’t stick around to see how they gather them back up, but somehow they do.  Have you ever timed traffic lights just so?  And they change as you drive through them?  Eggs of every color hit the ground with a splat as we walked by.  So much fun.  I may have to buy one when we go back! 
 
Exhausted and needing to take a bath and a nap and not in the mood to sit in a restaurant, we decided to stop by a little grocery store and get whatever we could find.  We found (for only 2 euro) the most gorgeous sandwiches.  Within an hour, full and comfortable, I went to bed and I don’t even remember taking a breath before I was out!
 
A couple of hours later, Steve woke me so we would sleep later when it was really night-time.  It was getting dark and we set out again to simply wander, again in the direction of Trevi.  We were still tired enough that we knew we wouldn’t be going far.
 
How those alleys changed from the afternoon to the evening!  Playtime for adults!  And I don’t mean in any kind of a bad way.  Just that people were out and enjoying the night.  The teens were now selling some sort of lights that shot high into the air and Trevi and the surrounding area was covered with light and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment