Thursday, October 20, 2011

All in God's Time

I don’t have much luck with Christmas cactus.  So when my friend gave me one at a Christmas party two years ago, I smiled and made a mental note to try extra hard.  I put the pot on a shelf in the den where it would get indirect light and watered it tentatively. It lived. Barely.  Occasionally it would drop a little branch and I would fuss over it when I watered.  We coexisted as wary friends, a little afraid of each other. 

In early spring I move my plants outside to do their spring and summer growing.  They get strong and healthy enough to survive the dryness of the winter and my apathetic attitude that sets in about mid-January.  This year I put the little cactus outside.  It thrived and grew to twice its size.  When I brought my plants inside this fall, I looked for a special place for the cactus.  I put it in the kitchen window to make me smile as I cleaned up supper dishes.

It has been enjoying its new inside spot for almost three weeks now.  For some, a blooming Christmas cactus is no big deal.  For me, a living Christmas cactus is something.  A blooming one is a blessing indeed.  Imagine my surprise when I saw little flowers at the end of every single branch!  I thought, “Why now?”  It’s been outside all summer with loads of sunshine and rain and fresh air. 

How many times have I gone through spiritual renewal with prayer and Bible study taking new priority?   Faithful for a few weeks, when my life didn’t seem to be getting better, I would give it up.  I didn’t give God the time to draw me close, to allow me to get to know Him through his Word.  Occasionally He allows us to see a great change immediately or in a very short time.  But sometimes, He wants to see our commitment.  Are we willing to hang in there with Him over the rough and the good times?  Are we willing to commit the time it takes to bloom?

James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment