Saturday, March 26, 2011

Falling Down Healthy

I can’t remember where I bought it – my gorgeous, large-leafed dieffenbachia. But I can tell you when. We moved to South Carolina two years ago and I had to leave all my beloved houseplants back in Virginia. Don't get too sad; know that I left them all in good homes with friends who care.

Before you plant/animal people start berating me for having “dumb cane” in my house, let me tell you that yes, I am aware that the leaves can cause numbness and are toxic. But first, my grandchildren are well over the age of 5 and, frankly, if I catch them chewing the leaves of my houseplants, I think we have much more serious issues to address. And my dogs aren’t in the least interested in them.

I love this plant. I think my affinity for them goes back to the years we were stationed in Hawaii. Steve and I bought a “trunk” of one at a flea market. It was literally a stub with a couple of limbs on either side, the diameter being about seven inches. The man who sold it to us for less than five dollars assured us that it would come out and grow to be beautiful. With a little bit of a sense that we’d bought magic beans, we took it home and potted it. Within weeks, shoots of leaves began to sprout. When we left Hawaii (and our beloved dieffenbachia), it stood over five feet tall, with leaves over twenty inches in length.

We’ve not had that success since, but we do seem to have a knack for growing them. The plant I bought two years ago when we came here is absolutely beautiful with healthy, large leaves.

Imagine my disappointment when I walked through the great room yesterday and found it lying on its side in the pot! I immediately thought of root rot, usually caused by overwatering. I’ve loved more than one plant to death and I figured I’d done it again.

I was pleased when I felt into the dirt and found strong, healthy roots. The problem is that the plant needs a bigger pot and the roots need to be planted deeper. (I’m so pleased you’re already getting the message on this one!) As I told you, all my lessons learned lately by listening or reading seem to point to the need for healthy roots and being firmly attached to the vine of Jesus for spiritual health and in order to produce good fruit.

About three months ago right after the New Year, I was “soaring with eagles.” My Bible studies were going well and I was doing some writing. My Christmas things were pretty well packed away. My house was in order and my calendar was under control. I was on Weight Watchers and the pounds were melting away. I felt like I knew what God’s will was for my life for the next several weeks and I was feeling confident. I was on top of the world and I was in control!

Then wham! I got zapped with a bronchial infection combined with insurance issues and a doctor who had left town. I carried a chest and head cold for two weeks and left to go on a cruise with not much hope. Asking for prayer was on my “to do” list along with unpack capris and pick up EmergenC and NyQuil.

And all along I was moving farther away from Him and repeating my mantra, “I can do this, I just need to be a grown-up.” So I coughed and sniffled my way across the Caribbean and landed back in South Carolina with pretty much the same cold but with far fewer reserves. I was beaten down physically and completely too tired for praying or getting into scripture. I wanted nothing but rest and sleep. And had I not been so tired, I’d have taken the time to ask God why, oh why, had He not taken care of this?

I ended up with a case of the flu and an illness that stretched out well over six weeks. But more than that, I carried a sense of resentment that God had not chosen to heal me more quickly. How had I, a “healthy plant” been laid so low so quickly? Turns out my leaves looked fine but my roots were not planted deep enough. I was reading scripture and praying, but mainly I was living life under my own steam, going through all the correct motions.

I was flying so high I had forgotten that the updrafts come completely from God. I had abandoned the truth that I am totally dependent on His grace and mercy. All He asks in return is that I love Him and depend on Him completely. So I’m continuing the prayer and Bible study, but I’m stretching my roots deeply enough to take advantage of His love, care, and protection.

Ezekiel 17:5, 6; Romans 11:18

He took some of the seed of your land and put it in fertile soil. He planted it like a willow by abundant water, and it sprouted and became a low, spreading vine. Its branches turned toward him, but its roots remained under it. So it became a vine and produced branches and put out leafy boughs...Do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.

No comments:

Post a Comment