Monday, December 6, 2010

It's Coming

I hear the wind chimes today – a little louder, more insistent and more constant. Their sweet tones take me to a place and time to come, fuzzy and almost unimaginable, yet very sure and real.

I am outside in my garden listening to the wind and the chimes. I work because my Father works, but today I am playing. I plant and enjoy my surroundings. The colors, the ones I used to know, are vivid and bright. The new ones dance in the heads of the flowers and on the wings of the birds.

I put my hand into the soil, rich, brown and warm, and feel for roots and rocks. As I pull it back, a roly poly bug and a fat spider sit on the back of my wrist. I smile at them, unafraid, and gently put them back into the cleared earth.

As I hear a muffled sound in the bushes, I look up to see a deer, soft, brown eyes twinkling at me. As she approaches, my coonhound – oh that it would be the same one – runs up to her to sniff curiously. She doesn’t run; she doesn’t even flinch. The dog licks her brown nose and she shakes her head. She moves over to let me give her a soft pat or two.

I hear a door close and someone calls out my new name. Smiling I get up and dust myself off. There stands my best friend, come to take me who knows where, to explore and discover this new earth of ours. I give him a hug and smile into his dark eyes, remembering the love and years and thanking God that we feel so strong and healthy.

It’s coming. I will be home. And it’s true and real.


Revelation 21:1, 3
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away…And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.

No comments:

Post a Comment