Monday, May 17, 2010

Joyful

MercyMe sings this in their “I Can Only Imagine” lyrics:

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine.

Like that’s a good thing! C’mon, you’ve thought it. How boring is this going to be? I’m grateful that Randy Alcorn has given me a bright and beautiful, Scripture-based picture of what I have to eagerly anticipate! But I’m sure it will include years and years, no, eons and eons, of praising God. And I just wasn’t sure I was up to it.

Before this weekend, that is. I attended a Women of Joy conference in Charleston with some friends. I’ve always loved good praise music and I love to sing. And of course I want to praise my Lord. But forever?

That was before I stood with thousands of other women praising God – clapping, singing, raising hands, dancing. Really acting foolish to anyone who didn’t understand what was going on and happened to look in off the street.

Can I just tell you that I was transported and wished it would continue for hours. Eternity? Yes, I believe so. I would have even been willing to skip meals for this! What does that tell you?

Our worship leader was Travis Cottrell and he and his band and singers did a wonderful job – as did our concert performers Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith. My girlfriends, if you have never attended a large women’s conference, it’s worth the price of admission just for the singing! I really believe it may be the closest we can get to heaven on this earth. Men, I’m sorry – I don’t know that you’ll be able to experience it unless you’re willing to brave 5000 women and more tears and emotion than you’ll encounter in a lifetime. I didn’t think so.

But I will tell you what I brought home with me. I intend to make it so much less about me and so much more about Him when I get the opportunity to sing from now on. I’ve heard of “losing yourself” in worship before and that has a new meaning for me now.

Psalm 30:11-12
You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment