Monday, June 29, 2009

Clear a Path to the Mug

Can I just switch sides? I'm a night person. My Steve is a "get-up-early-get-the-day-moving" kind of guy. He hops out of bed at 6:30 with bright eyes and a grin for the dogs. I slog out as late as I can get away with and feel my way into the kitchen for a mug.

Coffee opens my eyes but only barely. We troop with the dogs out to the back porch to enjoy the shade before the South Carolina sun begins to climb. Steve is eager to talk about our day; I prefer to wrap my hands around my cup and ruminate on my coffee. After 39 years, he has learned to let me ease my way into the day.

How do I collect this garbage in my brain that makes my morning outlook so sour? For my writing I'm supposed to, first thing, get up and write three pages of "brain dump", stream-of-consciousness onto paper. This usually ends up being mostly about my dreams which are consistently vivid and usually weird. I do gripe a bit and I write a lot about my to do list. I pray some and I worry some.

The best way for me to start my day is with a cup of coffee, my Bible and my back porch. I slip out and find God waiting for me, just us with a breeze and no sounds but birds. (South Carolina birds seem to like to sleep a little later so I can still enjoy them by the time I'm settled in the rocker.)

So how to start the day for a night person who's a morning grump? When I can remember to greet God first and give Him my day, my spirit is eased a bit. I'm still slow but I'm on the best side.

Psalm 118:24, Romans 12:1b
This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. ...Offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I just stopped mid day and found your post. I like visiting you on your porch! I am looking forward to many futures visits as God continues to throw open wide all he has for you to write for us! Miss you and am always grateful for your touch on my life.

    ReplyDelete